Mechanical Design Engineer
HOPPE North America, a division of the HOPPE Group, will expand its Engineering team to support business growth through the design, development and introduction of new products.
We specialize in precision hardware for doors and windows. We feature a broad product range of North American and European high-performance products and offer exceptional service to our distribution partners.
- Design - Contribute to all phases of product design including conceptualization, detailed design, prototyping, testing and validation, design revision, preparation for production and post-production perfection. Design components and assemblies that meet identified requirements of form fit and function. Conduct design reviews with peers and stakeholders to demonstrate methodology and compliance to design, manufacturing, assembly and quality requirements. Create technical drawing documents of components, assemblies and systems detailing required physical attributes, performance requirements and all other relevant technical information
- Prototype - Create product prototypes with hands-on efforts. Regularly research new prototyping processes including 3D print and other rapid production processes. Identify new vendors that can support prototyping with greater speed. Identify new technologies to bring in-house to enhance our prototyping speed and capability.
- Test and validate - Plan and develop experimental test programs. Design and fabricate test fixtures and other testing devices as needed. Design and fabricate quality gauges as needed. Conduct FMEA’s. Perform tolerance analysis on components and assemblies. Analyze competitors' products and understand strengths and weaknesses of those designs. Analyze test data and reports to determine if design meets functional and performance specifications
- Support Quality and Production - Support the development of quality control and inspection plans for new products. Lead pilot runs for new products with Production. Work with the Production Manager and Production team leads to ensure all needs are met as they relate to initial production and perfection. Provide other technical service and assistance as needed.
- Travel: 5 - 10%, depending on role and responsibilities
Keys to success:
- Focus daily on task execution keeping deliverables and projects on schedule
- Plan - Define a work breakdown structure, set realistic durations for tasks, be mindful of milestones and adhere to deadlines.
- Communicate frequently - Actively participate in weekly team meetings and stage/gate meetings. Notify manager and other team members of road blocks and present ideas to overcome obstacles.
- Listen and adapt to the everchanging needs of the customer and remain flexible.
- Collaborate and build trust with team members.
- Ask questions
- Manage expectations
Supported business processes:
- Product development process - Designing, Prototyping, Testing.
- Tolerance analysis
- Engineering change notice
- Root cause analysis
Favorable skills and experience:
- Bachelor's degree in mechanical engineering
- Proficiency with SolidWorks is preferred - Training shall be offered for applicants without SolidWorks experience.
- Sheet metal design and working with stainless steel and nylon materials.
- Working with basic machine shop production equipment.
- Understands and adheres to a stage-gate process for product development.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office suite: Excel, Outlook, Word, PowerPoint, knowledge of Microsoft Project is preferred.
- Experience working with ERP software - Microsoft Dynamics experience is advantageous
- Experience conducting FMEA’s
- Experience level: 0 - 5 yrs. Role and responsibilities to be adapted according to experience level.
Salary: $68,000.00 - $80,000.00 per year
Excellent benefit package including:
- 401(k) matching
- Flexible spending account
- Health, Dental, & Vision insurance
- Life insurance
- Short-term & Long-term disability
- Paid time off in the first year
- 11+ holidays per year