The ED provides leadership, coaching and directs the work of all BBBS employees, interns, and volunteers.
Business Planning & Execution – Develops and drive the business plan of the organization within the context of the nationwide strategic direction; drives a collaborative process with the Board and staff. Uses performance metrics and quality indicators to guide operational decision making.
Board Development – Cultivates a strong Board willing to lead and contribute to the organization’s fund development success and become positive ambassadors through their communities. Works to assure Board and ED govern independently, yet with joint oversight and accountability.
Talent Management – Attracts, retains, develops, and leverages staff talent. Creates an environment where staff is engaged and performing at high levels. Institutes and utilizes an effective performance management system for all employees that includes annual objective setting and evaluation that comply with National BBBSA standards.
Financial Management – Develops plans that maximize the financial strength of the agency without adversely affecting other criteria of success (i.e., quality of service/programming). Communicates the key performance levers and manages to these measures.
Fund Development – Proactively ensures that the organization develops strong long-term relationships with individual and corporate donors/funders, as well as foundations. Builds and maintains key relationships to ensure fund development strategy is achieved. Experience in writing both corporate and private foundation grants, state and federal grants, and United Way grants.
Program Impact – Ensures that comprehensive marketing strategies are developed to attract, engage, and mobilize significant numbers of volunteer mentors. Ensures programmatic excellence and maximum program impact is achieved by establishing operational benchmarks, setting timelines, and making child safety the number one priority.
Public Relations – Represents BBBS at external partnership events and with the media. Positively partners with and supports the community public, civic and other agencies to develop a strong understanding of the importance of youth mentoring.
Strategic and Visionary Leadership
• Develops vision and strategies that position the organization for growth with big-picture thinking
• Collaborates with others to achieve the vision
• Allocates and aligns resources to achieve strategy; forecasts and prepares for contingencies
Trusted Influencer & Relationship Builder
• Invests in internal and external relationships that are sustainable over time which builds strong teams
• Actively networks with potential strategic partners and individuals, and coaches his/her team to form partnerships and collaborations
• Models and requires collaboration with others. Builds commitment vs. compliance
• Coaches staff on building effective relationships with others; passes on insights on navigating challenges
Ethics & Values
• Acts in an ethical manner reflecting core values of integrity, transparency, accountability, respect, and responsibility. Acts above reproach in all that is done on behalf of BBBS
• Models’ openness, honesty and accountability to colleagues, volunteers, donors and all others involved with BBBS
• Provides a work environment that values diversity and inclusion among volunteers and employees regardless of race, color, religion, gender, national origin, sexual orientation, marital status, age, veteran status or disability
Results and Performance Driven
• Sets and executes high-performance targets through focus and drive toward a measurable standard of excellence
• Establishes systems and process that hold employees accountable for their actions and results
• Motivates Board and staff to create a high-performance culture
• Ability to develop action plans to address shortfalls, incorporating performance feedback from others
• Actively seeks out new or improved ways of doing things in order to be more efficient
• Master’s Degree in Business and/or Social Services preferred with a minimum of seven years of results-building leadership and experience working with children. Bachelor’s Degree required.
Skills & Knowledge
• Strategic thinking, planning and project/process systems management skills
• Entrepreneurial approach to the use of scarce resources
• Ability to manage for short, mid and long-term results
• Proven interpersonal and team-building skills
• Ability to foster development of people and groups, specifically Board and staff development
• Proven fund development skills
• Excellent verbal/written communication
• Ability to lead complex, multicomponent projects to successful outcomes. Ability to negotiate and influence effectively in high impact situations with stakeholders at all levels
• Ability to effectively motivate, develop and manage the work of others in a dynamic, complex and fast-paced work environment
• Intermediate MS Outlook, Word, Excel, and PowerPoint
• Willing and able to take constructive criticism from the Board and/or staff when necessary
• Must be able to travel between two offices and a four county area on a regular basis