Head Chef - Hospice Inpatient Center, Full Time
Rainbow Hospice Care is currently accepting applications for a fulltime Chef to work in an 8-bed inpatient center. Position is 40 hours a week with coverage required 6 days a week. The typical schedule is 6:30 am – 1 or 2 pm Monday through Friday, and 7 – 11 am on Saturdays, although schedule can vary depending on company needs.
Job Summary: The Head Chef will provide nutritious and proportionate meals daily in accordance with the Recommended Dietary Allowance (RDA) to the residents and families of the inpatient center. All duties will be performed in accordance with guidelines, policies, and best practices from local, state, and federal agencies designed for inpatient meal services.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Maintains clean, orderly, safe, and pleasant work environment for the food service operation and ensures compliance with the Wisconsin Food Code.
- Ensures timely menu planning to meet current RDA and HFS 131 requirements.
- Prepare and cook meals with consideration of nutrition, food content (sodium, fat, sugar, etc.), taste, appearance, food safety, portion size, cost, and temperature.
- Food and supply ordering. Develop and maintain ordering guidelines that will be clear to any substitute cook.
- Establish a running up-to-date inventory of meal packaging, serving, and food supplies. Create an inventory list and workable process. Check supplies in when delivered and compare to invoice to ensure accuracy.
- Train any food program assistant(s) and/or volunteers as needed in regards to cooking, cleaning, maintaining the kitchen, customer service, etc.
- Arrange back-up meal service for hours unable to work.
- Maintain confidentiality and respect the dignity of meal participants, volunteers, and staff.
- Serving and packaging meals in a safe and appropriate manner for dining room and in-room service.
- Freezing meals in an appropriate and safe manner for emergencies, absences, or closings;
- Cater to special events, meetings, and holiday feasts;
- Attend trainings and meetings as required.
- Previous experience in quantity cooking, inventory control, and meal service ordering.
- Knowledge in menu planning and RDA requirements.
- Knowledgeable about the needs of older adults, and experience in geriatric nutrition including special dietary needs and requirements (diabetes, allergies, renal issues, etc).
- Knowledge of food sanitation and kitchen safety practices.
- Knowledge of the Wisconsin Food Code.
- Possess capability to improve cost savings/comparison shopping.
- Has completed or plans to complete Food Safety class.
- High School Diploma or equivalent.
- Prefer culinary training or equivalent experience.
- Must have capability to work as a team player, follow directions and requirements, and work without close or constant supervision.
- Effective oral and written communication skills.
- Excellent computer knowledge preferably to include forms, menus, utilizing the Internet as a resource, email, and Microsoft Word.
- Prefer experience working in a commercial kitchen at a healthcare facility.
- Prefer Experience with end of life patients and their nutritional needs.
- Experience with volunteers.
- Supervisory experience and problem-solving skills preferred.
- COVID vaccination series is required.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS: Standing for long periods of time, bending, lifting, and reaching are required. The Head Chef must be able to do all movements associated with cooking and serving food.