Non-Profit Spotlight: Humane Society of Jefferson County
The official mission of the humane society is to care for the lost, homeless and abused animals of Jefferson County, help place them in forever homes, and work to inspire kinder and more humane communities.
In practice, our purpose is to serve our community and the animals of our community on all things animal. We provide the common services of adoptions, rescuing lost pets, and animal control. We also provide a wide range of community education, animal education, helping families in emergencies to care for their pet. We have a children’s summer camp, host vaccination clinics, and have a community space that other organizations and members of the public can use.
Our two big upcoming items are:
Every year the Humane Society hosts a dinner dance as our biggest fundraiser towards helping animals and providing critical medical care to shelter pets in need. This year, we’ve decided to try something a little different. We want to help the community get back to celebrating all of the things that make Jefferson County a great place to live and a great community in caring for its animals.This year’s Fur Ball celebrates all of those things by hosting a free, family-friendly outdoor event with live LOCAL music, LOCAL food vendors, LOCAL businesses, and LOCAL residents all coming together to relax, have fun, and help support our animals. The Fur Ball Community Festival will be held on Saturday, October 23 at Rotary Park in Jefferson, WI, right in the heart of our county and easily accessible to all of the communities we serve.
- Fur Ball 2021 Community Festival - As a community organization, we try to give back as much as we can to the people and pets in all of the communities we serve. We also rely on the generosity and support of those communities to make our work possible.
While this is still a fundraiser for the Humane Society and our animals, we also want this to be a chance to help bring our community back by celebrating all of the local business and people who make up Jefferson County.
- Our other big event isn’t coming up this year, but we’re preparing already. In 2022, the Humane Society of Jefferson County will be turning 100 years old! We’re getting ready to celebrate with a bunch of 100th anniversary events and explorations of our history. We definitely want the community involved in this as well and would invite any residents or business with stories of photos from our history to submit them to the Humane Society.
For anyone interested in donating or being involved in the Humane Society, we have a lot of great ways to connect.
- Being a donor is a big help to what we do. We rely on community donations to help feed our animals, offer live-saving medical treatment, and provide loving care until they find their forever homes. Donations can be made on our website at HSJC-wis.com or by mail to HSJC, w6127 Kiesling Rd., Jefferson, WI 53549.
- We also have an Amazon Wishlist. This is a list of our most commonly used, high-need items for the shelter. If anyone is looking for ideas on items the shelter can use, the wishlist is a great resource.
- Volunteers and Foster Homes are another HUGE resource for our shelter. We rely on these folks every day to help provide care and allow us to serve more than 1,000 animals each year. If someone is interested in becoming a volunteer or fostering an animal, they can go to the volunteer section of our website, https://hsjc-wis.com/volunteer/ or call 920-674-2048.
- We would also love members of the public to adopt. Shelter pets make loving family companions and the faster we get an adoption, the faster we can help save another animal in need. A complete and regularly updated list of available animals is always up on our website.
- Finally, the HSJC hosts a wide range of events and classes every year. We absolutely encourage people to come and celebrate or learn with us.